Rachel Roy is a fashion designer- who owns clothing brands like RACHEL Rachel Roy Clothing and The Rachel Roy Collection.
Rachel is notable for working with famous personalities, including Michelle Obama, Diane Sawyer, Kate Hudson, Jennifer Garner, Iman, Lucy Liu, Sharon Stone, Tyra Banks, Wendy Williams, and Penelope Cruz.
For her contribution to apparel and designing, Rachel has been honored with many awards, including one Bollywood Industry Award for her dedication to American fashion in 2006.
Married Life & Split From Ex-Husband
Previously, Rachel was married to hip-hop mogul Damon Dash for several years.
The designer had first encountered Damon while they both were working at the Rocawear clothing store. At the time, Dash was a part-owner of the store, along with his old business partner and labelmate, Jay Z. Meanwhile, Rachel was an intern for the company.
After dating for a while, Rachel and Damon got hitched on 15 January 2005 at Mexican beach.
But, the couple got legally apart from each other after living together for almost six years in 2011. As per the news published by the Romper on 25th April 2016, Damon was going through a financial crisis when Rachel for divorce. As a result, Damon sold his stake in the mega clothing company, Rocawear, to Jay Z.
Rachel Roy and her ex-husband, Damon Dash (Photo: Getty Images)
Also, Damon owed $2 million in back taxes to the state of New York in 2009 and faced foreclosure on several New York condos. In 2013, he abandoned a mansion on which he owed more than $162,000 in back rent.
Rachel has two daughters from her ex-husband, Damon. Her first daughter, Ava, was born in 2000.
Later, Rachel’s second daughter, named Tallulah, was born in 2008.
According to Celebrity Net Worth, Rachel has accumulated a total net worth of $12 million, which is fueled through her profession as a fashion designer.
Bio: Age, Ethnicity, Family, And Education
Rachel was born on 15th January 1974 in Monterey, California. She was raised alongside her brother, Rajendra Roy, in California.
She grew up under the care of her parents: father and mother, Ruth Roy. Her father is a Bengali Indian from Madras, India, and had previously served in the Indian Army. Meanwhile, her mother is Frisian-Dutch, and is America born.
Another Fashion Designer: Priscilla Ono Bio Reveals Age, Husband, Ethnicity, Makeup
Rachel attended the Washington Adventist University in Takoma Park, Maryland, and studied Psychology and English.
Exciting Facts About Rachel Roy
- Her birth sign is Capricorn.
- Rachel’s brother, Rajendra was the Chief Film Curator at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
- When Rachel was just 14 years old, her father left her off at the mall and told her to find a job in order to return home. So, she found a job of folding t-shirts at the nearby aquarium. And, she found a job at Contempo Casuals, which was a fast-fashion pioneer glorified in the 1990s teen comedy, Clueless. Eventually, Rachel became a manager for that company.
- Rachel also worked for free as a stylist for years and did retail jobs at BCBG and Neiman Marcus Group.
- The fashion designer joined Rocawear as an intern. After working for almost four years in different departments, Rachel became the creative director of Rocawear.
- Rachel lives in a luxurious home in Sherman Oaks, Los Angeles, which is worth $2 million.
- Back in 2016, Rachel was rumored to have an affair with the rapper, Jay Z.
- In April 2015, Rachel was sued by her ex-husband, Damon Dash, for mismanaging fashion business Royale Etenia- which the two had started as a married couple. Also, Damon sued $2.5 million for breaching the conduct of the business.
- She has her online clothing line named RACHEL Rachel Roy Clothing, through which she sells swimsuits, denim, sweaters, sweatshirts, skirts, and more. The store has special sizes such as junior, plus-size, Petite-Size, and maternity size.
- According to news published by the Romper on 25 April 2016, Rachel was blamed by her ex-husband for threatening his life with a knife. Also, Damon accused Rachel that she got behind the wheel drunk with their daughter Tallulah in the car.
- The fashion designer was approached to speak at the White House's National Small Business Week in May 2015.